Saturday, November 28, 2015

She's here! Announcing Riley Claire Paskett

I can't believe our little girl is here and is a week old! I've clearly got some catching up to do since our last post. These last few weeks have been such a whirl wind. First, here is the very last baby bump picture at 36 weeks. I was going to take one last 37 week picture before I was induced but the hospital called an hour and a half before we were supposed to go in so I didn't have time :(


Last baby bump picture!

We found at 36 weeks that I had Preeclampsia. Basically it constricts the blood vessels causing swelling, high blood pressure and issues with kidney and liver function. They caught it after I had gained several pounds since my last appointment and my blood pressure was high. I had to go straight over to the hospital for a "non stress test." Not sure how it can be a non stress test after they explain that preeclampsia can cause issues with several things and one being not enough blood going to the placenta. So I went over and was hooked up to monitors and did several blood panels to check my kidney and liver function. My blood pressure went down after resting and they talked about the possibility of bed rest. I was supposed to go in twice a week to be monitored and keep a close eye on me and the baby. The next appointment is when they told me that they were going to induce me the next week at 37 weeks. I still went in several times for non stress tests and blood work to make sure that both baby and I continued to do okay. I hurried to help get the temp trained at work and do LOTS of last minute baby stuff that I had thought I still had several weeks to do.


Trevor and I were able to sneak in our first Jazz game of the season two days before Riley came (Ignore my puffy face :( one of the fun side effects of preeclampsia). It was such a fun game. It was really close and the Jazz won! I actually lost my voice yelling at the refs. Naturally they can hear my yelling at their idiotic calls from the nose bleeds :D

The timing was actually perfect to have our little girl. Trevor had a test the Friday morning that I was being induced. He was able to take that and get it out of the way before we went in. Originally we weren't going to get  a call until 9 or 10 Friday morning and then they'd give us a time to come in. I did several things, mostly cleaning, to get ready Friday night and went to bed expecting to be able to finish in the morning. I got a call at 5:45 asking us to come in at 7. We had just enough time to get up, shower, pack and get out the door. We live a half hour away from the American Fork hospital so it was a mad rush to get out of the house. 


Here we are at the hospital. I had grand dreams of having my hair and make up done before we went into the hospital but that obviously didn't happen. Oh well, I had more important things to do... like deliver a baby!

We got checked in and settled in our room. The doctor came in at 7:45 and broke my water. Right after they started me on pitocin. I waited for several hours to see how well I did without an epidural. I figured I'd need one, but to be honest I was pretty nervous about getting one so I held off. I had some major back contractions and they came on quick, hard and fast. I was dying by the time the anesthesiologist came in. He was fantastic! He was super quick and was able to get the tricky stuff done in between contractions. Trevor was curious and wanted to watch so my mom came and held my hand and rubbed my legs. The anesthesiologist walked Trevor through everything he was doing and Trevor was pretty fascinated with the whole process. It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. It most definitely beat feeling the contractions. I was uncomfortable for the 10 seconds he was putting in the tub thingy (like my medical terminoligy!), but other than that I was fine.
After the epidural life was so wonderful! Family came in and out that day and I took several naps. When we went in I was already dilated to a 2. By four o'clock I was still only a 4 and they had cranked the pitocin up as much as they could. Contractions were pretty strong, according to the monitor since I couldn't feel them, and were 2-5 minutes apart. Still I wasn't progressing very fast. They brought in a birthing ball that they put in between my knees to open up my hips. We did one side for an hour and the opposite side for an hour. After two hours of that I went from a 4 to a 7! We were finally getting close! 
At 9:25 I was fully dilated and ready to go! The nurse came in and told me to do some "test pushes." Trevor came and held one leg while the nurse held the other. Finally after quite a few "test pushes" I realized we were close to getting this baby out and this was not a test run! A little less than an hour after I started pushing the nurse was counting "5... 6... 7... 8... STOP!" It was finally time to call the doctor in! He came in and about 15 minutes later she was here. She was FINALLY here. She came at 10:34 pm. I got to hold her before they cleaned her up and it was the most amazing feeling to hold my daughter for the first time. She weighed in at 5 lbs 9 oz and they said 16.5 in long (when we went to the pediatrician a few days later she measured 18 in). They cleaned her up and brought her over and we did skin to skin. After that Trevor was able to hold his little girl for the first time. By that point everyone had left and it was just our little family and the nurse. 


First family picture!

Dr. Bean delivered Riley. I had only seen him once throughout my pregnancy. He was hard to schedule an appointment with and now I see why. He was fantastic. Super funny and just a really great doctor. He made the experience so much better. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor.

Trevor holding his daughter for the first time!

Hellllooo world!



I was able to eat some much needed food and get cleaned up before we went down to our room. She stayed with us that night. We were in the hospital for 2 days so they could keep an eye on her since she was so small and to keep an eye on me to make sure my vitals started returning to normal. She passed all of her tests like a champ and we were able to go home late Sunday morning.
The last week has been so fun and so tiring! She is 100% worth it and perfect! Trevor was off all Thanksgiving week and has been the best help. We're still figuring out breast feeding so he helps feed while I pump, changes diapers (and has been pooped and peed on lots!) and is always more than willing to snuggle Riley.
We think Riley is the cutest baby we've ever seen, but we may just be biased! So far she's a pretty well tempered baby and really doesn't fuss. She cries on and off when she's hungry, but doesn't wail unless she's getting a bath, or has cold wipes! 

And now prepare for baby overload pictures. You've been warned!
Getting ready to head home. We came in as two and are leaving as three!

All snuggled up to take her first ride in her car seat.

Finally home!

First Jazz game with daddy. The onesie is to big but daddy wanted to put it on her :)

First bath. Riley was not please, but she smelt SO good after!

Riley LOVES to pull faces, especially scowls. I was trying to get a picture of her smiling when I caught this face by chance. Not what I had planned but it was pretty adorable non the less!

My babes taking a snooze. My heart is full and life is perfect.

Riley Claire at one week old. This has been the best week of our lives! I just want time to stand still and have her stay this little forever.





1 comment:

  1. She's sooooo cute!!! I'm glad everything went so well, congrats to you both! We are so excited to meet her

    ReplyDelete